I made this clams pasta for my selfish day. Today I just want to be careless and stop impress other people and celebrating my existence on earth. I want honest and straight-forward pasta dish for my celebration. No fancy ingredients or hustle and bustle in the kitchen.
Mostly the spaghetti vongole recipe that I found on the internet use white wine, but this time I skip the white wine. I want make it simple and let the taste of the clams more prominent. For this recipe try to use best quality olive oil. You can use garlic olive oil, but I suggest to use fresh garlic. Don’t you love the sound when the garlic touch the hot oil and sizzle and the smells of the garlic fill your kitchen?
- 2 pounds fresh clams, scrubbed
- 1 pound spaghetti, linguine or cappelini
- 4-5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup pasta cooking water
- Lime juice
- Put a pan of water to boil and season lightly with salt. Add pasta to the boiling water and cook according to the packet instruction until al dente. Drain the pasta
- Meanwhile before the pasta cooked, add olive oil into the hot pan and cook until just brown. Swirling pan often, add chilli flakes, and continue cooking for about 15 seconds. Add clams and pasta water, increase heat to high. Cover the skillet and cook until all the clams open and release their juice, discard any clams that haven’t open.
- Drain pasta, add pasta along with chopped parsley to the pan of clams. Season with salt and pepper, add extra drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and lime juice. Toss to combine and serve right away.