” Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability” ~ Sam Keen
I love everything about Asian cuisine, I love the fact that Asian food are rich in flavor. Spicy, sweet, sour, tangy, all that mingled together in a one dish. But I don’t like that sometimes it took a long preparation to make an authentic Asian food. This seafood and black rice salad is wonderfully tasty, simple and you can easily adjust the ingredients and seasoning as you like.
This black rice salad is based on a Nigella Lawson recipe, but I use Will Meyrick Green Nahm Jihm recipe for the dressing. Nigella made it originally with poached prawn, black rice and Vietnamese dressing.
Black Rice Salad
- 250 gr black rice
- 300 gr peeled, cleaned prawns
- 200 gr fresh calamari or squid, cleaned and slice into a medium sized ring
- Chopped fresh cilantro
Green Nam Jim
- 20 grams praline
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cilantro roots
- 2 green bird’s eye chillies
- 1 large green chilli, deseeded
- juice of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon palm sugar syrup
- To make the Sauce : crushed the praline in a mortar and pestle, set aside. Pound garlic, coriander roots, and chillies together. Place the garlic and coriander mixture in a bowl and stir in the lime and lemon juices. Add fish sauce, palm sugar syrup, and crushed praline, stir to combine.
- Cook the rice according to the package instruction. Set aside and let it cool
- Preheat the grill to high. Lightly season the seafood with salt and lemon juice. Grill the seafood until just cooked through but still very tender, grill for about 2-3 minutes per side for shrimp and about 2 minutes for squid.
- Put the cooked black rice on a plate and spoon some green Nahm Jim over the top, stir in and then add the grilled seafood. Spooning a little more sauce before serving and sprinkle with a chopped cilantro