This chicken croquettes is a popular street food from Brazil. You don’t have to be a Brazilian to enjoy this chicken croquette and cream cheese combination. Traditionally coxinha made from Catupiry cheese, but you can just replace it with cream cheese.
- 2 chicken breast
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 stick celery
- cream cheese
- 300 gram flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup very finely breadcrumbs
- Place the carrot in a large pot. Add chicken stock until the chicken breast covered with at least 1/2 inch of liquid. Add the carrot, half of onion and bay leaves.
- Bring chicken stock to gentle simmer, and poach chicken until cooked or around 15 minutes. Remove chicken breast, set aside and let it cool.
- Measure the chicken broth about 350ml. Add the chicken stock to the saucepan and then slowly beat in the flour and cook for about 3-5 minutes until the dough not stick to the pan. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- In a small frying pan, add 1 tablespoon oil and sweat the remaining onion for 3-5 minutes until soft, then add the garlic and for another 2 minutes.
- Shredded the chicken breast, mixed with cream cheese, add the onion mixture. Stir to combine and season to taste.
- Take a piece of the dough about the size of the golf ball. Roll it into a ball, and then flatten it into a disc. Add about 1 teaspoon chicken filling, bring up the edges all round and carefully press the dough so it totally encased, and shaped into a pear shape.
- Whisk the eggs together in a bowl. Place the bread crumbs in a shallow pan and season it with salt and pepper. Dip the coxinhas in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs to coat. Chill the breaded coxinhas in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- Fry until golden brown.