I used to made this recipe for one of my friend, one day he asked me about healthy Indonesian breakfast recipes. He told me that he eat nasi pecel (rice with boiled vegetables and peanut sauce often served with tempe, tahu and crackers) almost everyday, he like but he want something new for breakfast- he think nays pecel is a healthy breakfast, but I think eating peanut sauce and rice every morning is not a wise choices.
Okay, long story short I made this sate tempe because I think there is no food that can be more Indonesian than tempe and sate. I’m not saying this is a healthiest food for breakfast, but if you eat nasi pecel frequently this can be a perfect choices if you bored with nasi pecel. I personally enjoy this as a lunch and I eat it with a simple pickles made from cucumber, carrot, sugar and rice vinegar.
- 300g tempe, cubed
- 3 tablespoon kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 3 red chillies
- 3 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 candlenuts
- 1 teaspoon toasted coriander seeds
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 5 tablespoons kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
- 3 shallots
- 3 chillies
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Pound together all the paste ingredients in a mortar and pestle to form a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan or wok on medium heat, add spices paste and cook until fragrant or about 3-5 minutes. Add coconut milk, sweet soy sauce and season with salt, stir to combine. Add tempe cube and cook until the liquid absorbed.
- Thread tempe onto a bamboo skewers and grill for about 1-2 minutes on each side. Serve warm with the sauce