Pastel is a stuffed fried pastry, it’s a popular snack in Indonesia. Pastel usually stuffed with minced beef or chicken and mixed with some vegetables, rice vermicelli, and sliced hard-boiled egg. The skin dough is more similar with empanadas, but the filling is more dried than empanadas. Both use beef, potato and some vegetables but the taste not similar because both use different spices.
Pastel is popular snack all around Indonesia, you can easily find it in every continent in Indonesia. People in Makassar, South Sulawesi called it Jalangkote. It taste similar and look alike but traditionally in Makassar they use bean sprout and sweet potato as a filling.
- 500 gr flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoon hot vegetable oil
- 150-200 cc water
- 500 gram boiled potato, cut into small cube
- 350 gram carrot, cut into small cube
- 200 gram rice vermicelli
- 100 gram minced beef
- 2 green onions, white and green part, chopped
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut into 8 small pieces each
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 shallots
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- Place flour in a large mixing bowl. Add hot vegetable oil and salt. Add water gradually to the flour mixture, stirring well. Add enough liquid to make a dough, and knead dough until smooth, adding more liquid if necessary. Dough should be soft and smooth, but nit sticky. Covered with kitchen towel and let dough rest for about 30 minutes.
- Soaked rice noodles in hot water (read package instruction- normally soak for 2-3 minutes). Drain, rinse with cold water.In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat and sauté the spices paste until fragrant. Add ground beef and cook until the beef is cooked completely. Drain the grease and add carrot, cooked for about 5 minutes, until carrot is softened. Add chopped green onion, boiled potato, and rice vermicelli. Combine everything and cook over medium-low heat for about 3 minutes. The filling should be slightly dry and no liquid.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick, cut it into 3-4 inch circle. Lay circles on a baking sheet lightly dusted with flour. Put about 1 heap tablespoon filling in the centre of each round, add some sliced hard-boiled egg to each. Wrapped dough around filling to form half-moon shapes, pressing edges together. Fold edge back and finish by pinching a little pleats.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer. Place some pastels into a fryer at a time. Cook for about 5 minutes, until golden brown on each side. Drain on paper towels, and serve hot