This homemade fish cakes, is one of my meal for kids. And this something that I will definitely recommend if someone ask me a recipe for their picky eater kids. Kids like fish cakes and the better thing is you can hide any kind of vegetables when you make this for your kids. Just make a double batch and freeze the fish cakes individually for a quick kids meal.
- 350g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 300g fish fillet (salmon, cod, trout or sole)
- 100g frozen peas
- 1 small handful fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon plain flour, extra for dusting
- vegetable oil or olive oil for frying
- Put the fish in a heatproof dish, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 10-15 minutes until just cooked.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, add the peas and cook for another 5 minutes, until the potatoes and peas are both cooked. Drain the potatoes and peas.
- Mash the potatoes and peas and let it cool. Flake the fish into the mash, add 1 tablespoon flour, chop parsley, season with salt and pepper, then mix it up.
- Divide the fish cake mixture into 4, lightly shape and pat into 4 cakes about 2 cm thick. Dust a plate with extra flour, and dust the fish cake with flour until they are lightly covered. Put the them in a freezer for 30 minutes to firm it up. At this point, you can freeze the them, wrap them individually and just put them in freezer until you need it.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add fish cakes and cook on a medium heat about 3-4 minutes on each side, until crisp and golden. Serve with lemon wedges and salad.