This tofu salt and pepper are my old recipe. I’ve made it many times because it easy and delicious…and cheap also. I know for some people this tofu doesn’t look appealing, but I was so inspired by French crime movie (I forgot the title), Andrei Tarkovsky, and Rosemary Baby by Roman Polanski.
You may think what the relation between classic movies with tofu … I’m not sure either. My first Tofu salt and pepper use scallion and fresh chili, but then I skip it because I don’t want green and red bright color on my tofu.
Tofu Salt and Pepper
I use a mixture of all-purpose flour and tapioca starch for chicken coating. Tapioca gives the tofu crunchy with a slightly chewy texture. To make the tofu crispier you can replace tapioca with rice flour. I like the intense garlic flavour in my tofu so I seasoned the coating mixture with garlic powder, you can just skip it, or replace it with a pinch of Chinese five spices powder.
- 550g firm tofu
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated white pepper
- 100g all-purpose flour
- 20g tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Salt & Pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 dried chilli, chopped
- 1-inch ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Crushed the garlic. In a medium bowl mix together crushed garlic, salt, and pepper. Dissolve the mixture with 3/4 cup of warm water. Set aside.
- Cut the tofu into medium size cube, each about 1 inch wide. Put the tofu in a shallow container, pour the salt and garlic water over the tofu, marinate for about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dry mixture. Combine all-purpose flour, tapioca starch, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Take the tofu out, drain the excess water, coat all the tofu well with the flour mixture. Heat oil to 180C in a wok, fry the tofu in batches for about 3 minutes or until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to lift out the squid, and let drain on a kitchen paper.
- Remove the oil from wok, and reserving for about 1 tablespoon oil in a wok. Reheat the wok over high heat, add minced garlic, and ginger. Stir the garlic, and ginger quickly around the pan to prevent burning, cook until fragrant, or about 15 seconds. Add chopped dried chilli, freshly ground white pepper, chilli oil if you use it, and stir in the tofu. Stirring constantly, and cook for about 1 minute to let the tofu absorb the flavour. Turn off the heat and serve tofu salt and pepper immediately.