I remember as a little girl I love to getting lost in a pile high of my grandmother’s cookbook. I savouring each book like it was a fairy tales book, I went over and over it until I knew it by heart. And there is a thin book…old and worn cookbook. The book cover looks so dull and uninteresting. However, this was my favourite book, it full with classic French recipes like vol-au-vent, beef bourgouignon, or île flottante. I’ve wanted to make vol-au-vent since I was a child. I remember the first time I saw escargot vol-au-vent recipe in that cookbook, I was amazed, it looks so pretty and fancy. That time I told myself that someday I must make it. Two years ago I finally learned to make puff pastry in my cooking school, we make vol-au-vent cases from scratch, then fill it with poached eggs, and served with caramelized leeks and albufera sauce.
Mushroom Vol-au-vent with Hollandaise Sauce
This time, I want to make mini vol-au-vent, like the one from my grandma cookbook. I use a champignon mushroom for the meatless version, you can use shrimp or chicken if you want. store-bought puff pastry to make the vol au vent cases, you can also make the cases the day before and keep it in an airtight container. Just follow this instruction to make vol-au-vent cases.
- 500-gram puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 400-gram champignon, trimmed and halved
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 free range egg yolk
- 100 ml clarified butter
- 75 ml white wine vinegar
- 5 white peppercorn
- 1 sprigs tarragon
- 1-2 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Heat oil in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook on medium-high heat for about 3-5 minutes until browning. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, add dried rosemary and cook for another 1 minute. Turn off the heat and season to taste.
- Hollandaise sauce: Add together white wine vinegar, white peppercorns, tarragon to a small saucepan. Cook over a medium heat and reduce by half. Strain and set aside, Whisk egg yolks over a double boiler, slowly start to dribble in clarified butter, keep whisking until emulsified, take from heat and whisk in vinegar reduction, season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Spoon in the mushroom mixture into the vol au vent cases and serve with hollandaise sauce.