Easy to prepare sweet potato hash made with preboiled or pan fry sweet potatoes, onion, chilli, and curry powder. The sweet potatoes are crisp and caramelised on the outside with a moist interior. Great to eat with fried eggs as a breakfast or serve as a side dish.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cm ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon honey, thickened with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 handful spinach
- 2-4 free range eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Parboil method: Add the sweet potatoes to the pan of salted boiling water and parboil for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain in a colander and set aside.
- Panfry method: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cubed sweet potatoes, season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 3-5 minutes with the lid on or until the sweet potatoes slightly browned. Flip the potatoes, put the lid back on, and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, sautè until soft and aromatic, add garlic, ginger and chilli, sautè for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes, add curry powder and sauté until the sweet potatoes become crispy. Stir in the honey mixture and toss for 1-2 minutes. Remove sweet potatoes from skillet and put it on a serving plate.
- If you use spinach add it to the skillet and cook for few minutes until the spinach wilted. Season with a pinch of salt, pepper, and curry powder.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet, crack the two eggs into the bowl and pour it into a hot pan. Season with salt and pepper, cook for about 2-3 minutes with the lid on or off, depending on how runny you like your egg yolks. Repeat the same process with the other eggs.
- Serve the sweet potato hash with fried egg and spinach.