Although cheese and chocolate is such a weird combination for some people, but it’s normal to find cheesy sweet treats in Indonesia, it even become a favourite for Indonesian. From cheap street food like piscok (banana, cheese and chocolate spring roll) and roti bakar (toast), or more expensive food like martabak manis. Despite most of the food that sold in Indonesian market using processed cheddar cheese, but the sweet and salty combination is just awesome and so addictive. Cheese and chocolate have similar characteristic that can combine for a great taste sensations.
Brie and Nutella Sandwich
I’ve tried several chocolate and cheese combination for my sandwich. You can use soft and ripened cheese like brie, or pressed-cooked cheese like Gruyère or Emmental. But my favourite option for cheese is brie… it creamy and buttery with a mild flavour.
- 4 slices white bread or brioche
- 2 tablespoons nutella
- 100g brie cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- icing sugar, to serve
- Take the bread and spread the chocolate evenly on each slices.
- Place 50 grams of sliced cheese on 1 slice of bread (the bottom half). Top with another slice of bread. Press lightly to stick the bread.
- Spread the butter on the outer side of sandwich. Place sandwiches on hot grill.
- Grill until the chocolate and cheese begin to melt, about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Cut each sandwich in half and dust with icing sugar. Serve warm with fresh berries .