If you like fluffy and moist cake I suggest you to try steamed cake. Although steamed cake is not popular in Western-style kitchens, but in Asian kitchen steamed dessert and cake is a common thing. Japanese have Mushi-pan, Chinese and Nyonya kitchen also have their version of steamed sponge cake.
What I love from steamed cake because their delicate, soft and fluffy texture (some cake have a slightly chewy texture). These type of cakes lighter than baked cake because usually use less butter or not at all.
Pandan & Kaffir Lime Leaves Steamed Cake
If you use coconut cream, use 1 1/4 cups coconut cream and mix it with 1/4 cup water. During steaming the cake keep an eye on water level, don’t let it fall below 1 inch, add more water if necessary.
- 5 large free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups thick coconut milk
- 200 gr all-purpose flour
- 250 gr caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon TBM or baking powder
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 pandan leaves
- 1 teaspoon naturan pandan paste
- Put coconut milk in a medium saucepan, add pandan and kaffir lime leaves. Bring the milk to simmer on a medium heat. Set aside and let steep while cooling down to room temperature.
- To prepare for steaming, put a steaming trivet at the bottom of the large pot. Fill the steamer or large pot with water halfway up the legs of trivet.Wrap the lid with clean kitchen towel to prevent the steamer water dripping onto the cake. Cover the steamer and bring water to boil.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Strain pandan and kaffir lime leaves from coconut milk.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl, add sugar and pandan paste. Beat with electric mixer until the mixture pale and fluffy. Turn the mixer speed to low, beat the flour mixture and coconut milk alternatively into the egg mixture, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Take 2/3 portion of cake batter, add few drops pandan paste and mix well.
- Pour 1/3 portion pandan cake batter into the greased loaf-pan. Place the cake pan in a steamer tray over boiling water or balance it on a trivet. Cover and steam over high heat for about 12-15 minutes.
- Take out the loaf-pan and pour all the plain cake mixture, put it back to the steamer. After steamed for about 12-15 minutes, add the rest of pandan cake mixture. Steam for another 15 minutes or until an inserted cake skewer comes out clean.