When I had to struggle juggling between earn for a living and pursue my dreams normally cooking is the last thing people want to do. Spend my evening watching Netflix with Chinese takeaway or a large box pepperoni pizza is sounds like a perfect plan. But I don’t know why during the crazy and busy days like this my body always craving for home cook meal.
Proper and substantial home cook meal is what I needed at this time. I don’t want sinfully delicious or purely healthy food. I need a good balance, keep the food healthy yet satisfy my craving for carbo. Quick stir fry noodles with prawn and some vegetables are the instant calmer that I need.
Sesame Soba Noodles with Arugula and Shimeji Mushroom
I use soba noodles because I try to find the healthier option and also I like their nutty flavour. There are several types of soba such as Ju-wari Soba which is made from 100 percent buckwheat flour or Hachi-wari Soba is made from a mixture of wheat and buckwheat flour. I prefer the Hachi-wari soba because of the noodles smoother texture. If you can’t find soba whole wheat pasta would also be great.
For a vegetarian option, crispy tofu would work as well as shrimp. Just cut it 1-inch lengthwise and cook it for about 2 minutes on each side until browned. And add the tofu up to the minute.
For the noodles
- 270 gr soba noodles
- 200 gr golden or white enoki mushroom
- 150 gr arugula
- 100 gr frozen shrimp or firm tofu
- 3 scallions, white and green part thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2-inch ginger, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
for sesame sauce
- 3 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon shichimi togarashi or red chilli pepper
- To make the sesame sauce, add the soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, vinegar and shichimi togarashi in a small bowl and mix to combine. Set aside
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, cook the noodles according to the package instruction until just tender. Drain the noodles in a colander and rinse under tap water to stop the cooking process and remove the excess starch. Drain again and set aside
- Prepare the mushroom while waiting for the noodles to cook. Cut off the base of enoki mushroom stem to discard the roots. Brush the mushroom lightly or wash it under running water to remove any other dirt particle. Drain and set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmer, add minced garlic and ginger, cook for about 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add shrimp and cook until opaque, for about 2 minutes. Add mushroom and saute until tender, for about 1 minute. Add chopped scallion, soba noodles, arugula, sesame seeds and sesame sauce. Give it a quick stir and turn off the heat.
- Transfer to plate and toss with sesame seeds. Sprinkle with extra shichimi togarashi if needed.