What you usually do when you feel sad, angry or just bored? I guess most people would do sleeping, eating or even shopping. I love food, and I must admit turn to food at my emotionally weakest point is the easiest thing to do. But instead drowning my face in a bucket of fried chicken or a pint of ice cream, I would prefer to do something more positive like cooking.
I think one of the best solutions to relieve the stress is simply by joining a cooking or baking class. Study finds that 45 minutes creative activity significantly lessens stress in the body. So why joining a class better than cooking alone at home? Because by joining class we had the opportunity to meet new people and learn new things.
That’s why without hesitation I sign up when Mba Tika Nilmada announce that Bungasari Flour Mills hold a Japanese sweet bread class.The class was held in Bungasari Innovation Centre. In this place where all the magic happens, where all the chefs and staffs from Bungasari keeps innovating and experimenting to create new recipes.
Our class begins with an introduction about various types of flour. It really fascinating to find out that Bungasari Flour Mills have so many different types of flour. The protein content of wheat is very vary, but the flour industry has established labelling standards to make it easier for us.
Kabuki Gold is the newest and one of the premium product from Bungasari Flour Mills. We use this flour for today’s class. Kabuki Gold have super fine texture and their high rate of water absorption perfect for making Japanese bread or other Asian breads.
I feel very happy to join in this class, because I find out that bread making isn’t a magic trick. To get soft and fluffy bread is simple, you just have to learn the right techniques and use the right ingredients. What makes me happier because I was success makes my own bread using Kabuki Gold flour. Not only taste delicious but the texture also perfect, like I wanted… it was super soft and fluffy.
Wether you are aspire baker or you want make a living from baking, join a class like Bungasari baking class is such a good idea. You got to learn the basic recipe and right method then you can be creative and develop your own recipes.
Pullman Cheese Bread Recipe
Sponge or Starter Ingredients
- 600 gram Kabuki Gold or bread flour
- 12 gram instant yeast
- 2 gram bread improver
- 5 eggs
- 150 gram ice water
- 400 gram Kabuki flour or bread flour
- 30 gram milk powder
- 150 gram sugar
- 20 gram salt
- 150 gram milk
- 150 gram unsalted butter
- 250 gram cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
- Sponge: Combine Kabuki Gold flour, instant yeast and bread improver. In a stand mixer bowl whisk eggs and ice water until just combine. Add flour mixture and whisk on a low speed for about 2 minutes. Remove from mixer, cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for 3 hours.
- Pullman Cheese Bread: Add sugar, salt and milk into a bowl, stir until sugar dissolve.
- Pour the milk into a mixer bowl fitted with hook attachment. Add flour, milk powder and sponge dough. Knead together on low speed until all ingredients come together. Raise the speed to medium-high and knead for about 6 minutes.
- Lower the mixer speed, add butter and knead until the butter incorporated. Then increase the speed to medium-high and knead for about 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Add cheese and stir gently until blended.
- To test if the dough is smooth and elastic enough, take a little dough and pull it with your thumb and fingers. Keep spreading the dough into a thin translucent membrane, if the dough tears easily, the gluten is not quite ready yet.
- Shape the dough into a ball. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and let the dough rest for about 35 minutes. Release the gas from the dough by press or punch it with hand, then let it rest again for 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8-10 equal pieces (weighing the dough for 260g each).
- Shape the dough into logs, put the dough in a 12 x 12 x 25 cm loaf pan (put two doughs on each loaf pan). Let the dough rest for about 30-60 minutes. Brush the top of the bread with beaten egg and sprinkle some grated cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake at 200 C in a preheated oven until the loaf golden brown for about 35 minutes. Remove the loaf from pan and allow it to cool completely before slicing.
Bungasari Innovation Center
Jl. Pakubuwono VI No.11, RT.3, Gunung, Kby. Baru,
Kota Jakarta Selatan,
Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta 12120, Indonesia
Phone: +62 21 7236572