I love eating doughnut, but making them is scared me off. I’ve tried to make doughnut twice. First I made them without mixer and I ended up with a broken heart and sore hands. My second doughnut experience just a few months ago, the result are not much different.
I’m not sure where does the mistakes, at first I though because I’m not knead it well, but it still failed although I have been using mixer. I almost give up but then the right moment come, last week at Bungasari Innovation Centre I learned how to make Japanese sweet bread. Beside that we also learned about flour types.
To get the right result in the end of product, you need to used the right flour. Different types of flour are suited to the different item, all flour all different and it has different amount of protein content. Bread flour has higher percentage and flours with high protein content will create more gluten. Kabuki gold is one of the premium flour from Bungasari, it has high protein content.
Coconut and Marshmallow Donuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoon instant active dry yeast
- 120 g water
- 12 g sugar
- 40 g milk powder
- 70 g bread flour
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 300 g bread flour
- 2 large eggs, well beaten
- 50 g milk
- 100 g sugar
- 3 g coarse salt
White Chocolate & Coconut Glaze
- 150 g white chocolate
- 50 g coconut cream
- 40 g condensed milk
- 1 cup mini marshmallow
- For the sponge: In a medium bowl add yeast, sugar, milk powder, bread flour and ice water. Whisk until smooth and no lump. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Doughnuts: Put butter, sugar, salt, flour, eggs and milk into a mixer bowl fit with dough hook. Turn mixer on low speed and mix until the dough smooth. Add yeast mixture and knead for about 3 minutes until all the dough come together. Increase the speed to medium-high speed and knead the dough again until smooth and elastic, another 5 minutes.
- Remove the dough from mixer bowl and shape it into a ball, put it in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to overnight.
- Lightly dust work surface with flour and roll the dough out on a work surface. Cut rounds with doughnut cutter. Put the doughnuts on the baking sheet with parchment paper. Cover the doughnuts with the parchment and leave at room temperature for 45 minutes, or until risen by half.
- Pour about 3 inches of oil into a wide saucepan and heat it until reach 180 C. Fry the doughnuts a few at a time until golden on both side, about 1 minute on each side. Remove doughnuts from pan and drain it in a paper towel.
- White Chocolate and Coconut Glaze: Break chocolate into small chunks. Combine white chocolate, coconut cream and condensed milk in a bowl. Place the bowl on top of double broiler and place it over simmering water, cook until chocolate almost melted. Remove from heat and stir until smooth. Cool the glaze for about 5 minutes.
- Dip the doughnuts in a coconut glaze and sprinkle with mini marshmallow as much as you desire. Torch the marshmallow until slightly melted and brown.