I feel unwell when I woke up this morning. My pyjamas drenched in sweat and my eyes watery, maybe it the fever symptoms. Not sure what the cause, maybe because the food I ate because I also felt a stomach ache. Or it can be because I was exhausted after last night I stuck in a traffic for more than 6 hours.
After lay down for a while, I braced myself and went to the kitchen to make a glass of hot chocolate. I think I need a treat and hopefully after had this rich and creamy hot chocolate I will feel better.
Spiced Orange Hot Chocolate
For my basic hot chocolate I like to use the combination of whole milk and double cream to make it creamy and velvety. You can make it less rich if you prefer that way, but I think if you want to treat yourself, make it worth.
- 300 ml whole milk
- 100 ml double cream
- 3-4 strips of orange rind
- 150 gram dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 mace
- 30 ml orange liqueur, optional
- sugar or orange syrup, optional
- whipped cream, optional
- mini marshmallow, optional
- Pour milk and cream into a large saucepan. Add orange rind, cinnamon and mace to milk mixture, bring the mixture to simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat, cover and let it steep.
- Remove the cinnamon and mace after the mixture of milk steeped for about 5-10 minutes. You can steep it longer if you like intense spices flavour on your hot chocolate.
- Bring back the milk mixture to simmer. Add chopped chocolate and cocoa powder, whisk until chocolate melted and the hot chocolate mixture smooth. Simmer for 1 minutes. Add orange liqueur and sugar if you like
- Pour into mug, top hot chocolate with whipped cream, mini marshmallow, orange zest or cocoa powder if desired.